I was feeling a bit nostalgic so I had to boot this up again. I still remember it like yesterday: the day I got my PS4 was not too long after this game came out. I loved the inFamous games and everything in the trailers leading up for this really spoke to me. It's the system seller, in my eyes. I was in a "grunge music nut" phase for a couple months back then... ridiculous, I know. I had a blast with the game, and it was my first platinum on the PS4. It's been almost 9 full years since its release, and I want to see how it holds up.
To put it simply, Second Son is still one heck of a fun time, despite not evolving enough from its predecessor in many areas. I can't shake the feeling of the game's "console launch" feel, with the scale and depth of the game being stripped back. I would even argue that at least one of the reasons they chose to have multiple kinds of powers is to show off the PS4's technical ability. All of this results in a game that can feel like it's undercooked in some areas, especially the story, as some characters develops a bit too fast, and have less screen time than I wanted. On the other hand, the game also feels more approachable and manageable to complete, with its dense but small open world, which feels like a breath of fresh air in today's AAA gaming landscape, despite having a lot of the typical open world activities that we're too familiar with.
The core gameplay is as fun as ever. The series' brand of simple but rewarding combat and flashy traversal capabilties are still going strong. The variety of powers only strengthens that core, and while the individual powers' abilities aren't as deep as Cole's electric powers, they make the game feel more flexible and dynamic, as each power comes with their own optimal style of gameplay, and have their own best use cases. While all of the powers still depend on your aiming skills and situational awareness, each of them feel different enough to make switching between them a more meaningful affair. The game also gives you ample time to learn and develop each of the powers, as you can only access them in certain parts of the main story.
I would like to remind you that this is a early first party title in the PS4's lifecycle, and yet this game still looks great today. Seattle's rain soaked streets is still sight to behold, and the visual effects for each of the powers look spectacular, especially the Neon. You can actually play this on 60 FPS on the PS5 with 1800p checkerboard rendering, so it makes the experience feel much more modern.
What certainly doesn't feel modern is the karma system. The concept of a black and white good vs evil mechanic just feels dated these days, but the game does make it fun to you to commit to one of them, with certain abilities locked behind your level of reputation. Story wise, this system contributes to the lack of nuance in the writing, and while it's not the end of the world for a game like this, it does left me wanting a bit more.
For the story, as I said before, it feels a bit rushed at times. I would love to see more of Fetch and Delsin but their on screen time together felt so short. I also like the implications of Delsin and Reggie (his cop brother) being very similar in some ways, despite seeming like the total opposites of each other. While Delsin is a somewhat immature and unruly person, Reggie's commitment to being a good cop also feels a bit naive, It's a cool dynamic to have, even if the writing doesn't realize it's full potential. Lastly, I quite enjoy the main antagonist here, she's the kind of villain that's fun to beat up.
Overall, Second Son holds up quite well in most aspects. A few of its elements will be looked upon as a silly thing today, but none of it are enough to overshadow its core: a gorgeous superhero game that everyone can enjoy.

Before we get into the expansion Given Time, let me share my thoughts on the base game first, since they're obviously connected. The Far Shore is one of my favorite games in the year it came out. Its story of interstellar travel to flee a dying planet is certainly not a new idea, but the way it approaches this premise with a heavy dose of surrealist religious perspective, while still having a strong, rational scientific presence is remarkable. As the story driven campaign goes on, I grew attached to the smart characters who are trying their best to coexist peacefully within the new world they're in, even when a mysterious force forces the scout crew to adapt, or risk taking humanity's last hope with them to the grave. The game has a lot of small annoyances and rough edges, especially concerning how to progress the story at certain parts, as the game doesn't hold your hand often, but overall its unique qualities makes it a very worthwhile experience.
Jett's gameplay centers on driving the titular futuristic hover-glider vehicle, as you master its throttle overheating tendencies, the ability to postpone said mechanic by collecting and using vapors at the right time, and learning the art of handling it in order to tackle objectives or outrun hostiles. I'm playing this on the PS5, and I consider the Dualsense implementation to be essential to the experience, as the haptics and adaptive triggers and such contribute to a deeper understanding and connection with your vehicle. For example, the triggers will rattle when you're close to overheating. It's important to add that the vehicle has a learning curve, and it may take some time to fully understand how the game wants you to use it, which is not going full throttle each time, and not brute forcing your way through obstacles. Once you do, it truly feels like no other video game vehicle. Personally, the Jett is one of my favorite video game vehicles ever.
Now, with Given Time, the game capitalizes on the potential that TFS left on table. Like TFS, it is also a open world vehicular based experience, but this time around the story is much lighter, and you'll get to tackle the game's objective with much more freedom. After a short story-driven opening, you're set free to find and solve various obstacles in order to collect Brine Wisps, which are basically sentient flying orbs. These obstacles follow a couple main templates, which includes keeping up with a fast creature flying across the land, baiting certain creatures to activate a mysterious local flora, and blowing up rocks with heavy bombs. The game does not overstay its welcome, and although the variation of these objectives may seem limited, the way it tests your knowledge of how various objects in the world interact and the mastery of handling your titular glider makes it very engrossing. It reminds me of something like Skyrim or BOTW, where your solution to one of the puzzles may feel like you're cheating the game's mechanic, and it's quite satisfying because of it. If you have mastered the game's mechanics in TFS, then GT will be much more fun, in pure gameplay terms.
GT also seems to fix one of my slight complaints with TFS, which is the usage of its music. The soundtrack is pretty great, but a lot of the best tracks in TFS felt underused. In GT, they seem to use these tracks more liberally. I will post a video highlighting one of these tracks at the very bottom of this review, which I really recommend you to check out.
Are there still rough edges here? Absolutely. In fact, I think this expansion is slightly buggier than TFS. The framerate gets sluggish when you're going between the large sections of the map, the sun seems to be violently shaking at times, and the ending glitched out on me a few times (which was saved by a very timely patch). But I do not think that these are close to be dealbreakers.
TFW is a unique sci-fi game that pushed it self to be as unique as possible, while maintaining a coherent but somewhat limiting structure. GT lets go of that structure, and instead pushes the game to be the very best version of itself, without losing its identity. With this expansion, Jett has become one of my favorite games of all time.
Here's the video I talked about earlier, highlighting one my favorite tracks!

I admit, I'm not exactly a fan of getting scared, but with third person shooter horror games making a comeback, I knew I had to start somewhere. This game intrigued me because of the way people described it: a short, linear, action focused entry leaning on its predecessor's much beloved fundamentals. I imagine this would be a good point of entry for me, since I'm more used to action gameplay.
Before we get any further, I just need to gush about Jill Valentine here. Her design is incredible, and her tough but caring attitude makes for a very likeable character to play as. She also has great chemistry with Carlos, whose slightly playful and optimistic personality significantly heightens the fun factor of the game. I do wish that they get more screen time together. They are certainly the best part of the somewhat average story.
I have watched playthroughs of the original RE3 before so I have some idea of how this compares. Nemesis is back, but in a much more restrained and repetitive form, as the game tries to pull Naughty Dog-esque set pieces in most of the encounters. It does fit the action focus of the game, but the execution feels closer to Uncharted 1 rather than the newer, more technically proficient and interactive entries, leaving it feeling dated and unimpressive. You'll fight Nemesis multiple times as a boss, and while it is cool to see their evolution as it goes, the excitement of each fight only gets lower each time. I would rather have them do something more original instead, like maybe focusing on the interplay between Jill and Carlos more, and sacrificing the Nemesis' screentime. I'm also aware of the cut content from the original, I can't say I felt their absence since the game's length felt good to me.
Speaking of, I beat the game in 6 hours and I was quite satisfied. The levels overall are fun to explore, despite being mostly about scrounging the right items again and again. The Hospital is certainly a highlight for me, where its ravaged halls holds the stage for the scariest section of the game, even if it ends with in a bombastic way. The gunplay feels great, with solid gore effects. Blasting heads off with the shotgun is ridiculously addicting. I was expecting puzzles but there's barely any, I guess it wouldn't fit the shorter length.
One more thing: I hate the main human antagonist, they're one of those bad guys that seem to be always one step ahead for no reason. If we get to see them taking down zombies and such by themselves maybe I wouldn't be as annoyed, it just breaks my immersion.
All in all, RE3 is a solid rollercoaster ride that won't amaze you too much. Expect this to entertain, but not leave a long lasting impression.

How is it possible to hook me with a solid opening, getting me to care about the story so quickly, and then completely turning me off with the most contrived and boring string of battles in the third chapter? I can't believe that somebody looked at this game's combat system and completely sucks every ounce of fun out of it by forcing you to beat up so many dudes for no reason, making it worse by having offensively bad level design, and ending the section with quite possibly the worst boss fight I've ever played in a game. I will be skipping these games from now until 6, and just watch the story stuff on YT or something.

Please note that this "review" isn't necessarily about the remaster effort. I think the definitive edition is fine, the game looks quite appealing most of the time and I didn't run to any game breaking bugs. I also appreciate the quality of life improvements, like the new driveby controls. I do miss the hazy look that the OG game has.
This game holds up quite well, especially compared to GTA III that came not long before it. The missions are quite varied, and while the classic GTA chaos is still out in force, the game doesn't ruin your moment as often as it did in III, resulting in a less frustrating experience overall. The gunplay is barely functional, as is the case with the other PS2-era GTA games, but it's not detrimental enough to the game's fun factor. Also, the handling of most vehicles can be slippery and unruly as heck. All of this feeds to the aforementioned chaos, as the game's system of AIs and scripted events can really throw you off in many missions, leading into intermittent spikes of intense action, for better and worse.
Vice City is perhaps the most fun GTA city to be in. The late 80s Miami-inspired vibes is sublime. I will never forget the first time I played this game, and driving on the neon-soaked street on my way to Ocean View Hotel, as the beach across me welcomes a newcomer to its midst with a gentle, hazy stare. The city's atmosphere is still unmatched by 99% of other video game open world city. Plus, the radio stations here has some of the best music selections of any GTA.
I can't say I enjoyed the main story/plot since it kinda loses track of itself early on, but I do enjoy the more loose pace of the main story in the middle act, mostly because the game just lets you off the hook for a bit and tasks you to build your crime empire by buying out important assets, like a film studio or money counterfeiting factory. While not all of them have fun stories to get into, the ones that do are quite memorable. The film studio arc has some of my favorite missions in any GTA game. They would do this assets collecting mechanic again in San Andreas, but it never felt as impactful compared to its implementation here. Unlike VC, that game can be too big for its own good.
To close it out, I have a confession to make. I have started Vice City across 5 different gaming systems since about 16 years ago, and this is the end the road. It feels like closing a chapter of my life. I can't say that I regret taking so long to finish this, because I think this is actually the right time for me to finish it, and I just stumbled into it. Tommy Vercetti said that he lost 15 years of his life, waiting to be freed. Sorry it took me this long pal, at least nobody rules over you anymore.

The PS2 port is probably the closest a console Sims game has ever got to replicating the mainline PC games' experience, at least before Sims 3. A lot of the non-PC Sims games are spinoffs, like the PSP Sims 2 game which is more inIine with an adventure game. This game is much more traditional however. I have a lot of nostalgic feelings for this game since it's my first ever Sims game, and it's a very decent game so I enjoyed it a lot. Some things doesn't really hold up but overall I'll say that it's still a pretty good game today. Would rather play this than Sims 4 tbh.

First things first, I'm not exactly the biggest EDF fan, even though I have played quite a few EDF games before. There's charm in the intentionally campy alien defense stories, and the gameplay can reach a level of raw chaos that other games can only dream of. Still, they usually lack staying power, and I never end up finishing any of these games (except Insect Armageddon, which the shortest EDF game by a long shot apparently).
Iron Rain is pretty much the same story, and there's a couple of reasons for that. A lot of the weapons you unlock are either too niche in function or worse than the ones you already have, which makes the progression far less satisfying. A lot of the missions feel like filler, and the mission variety is horrendous. By the time I reached the mid point of the campaign, it felt like I have gone through a marathon for ages, and apparently I have only played like 6 hours, which is insane to me. The American setting of the game is less interesting than the Japanese setting of the mainline EDF games, at least to me.
It's not to say that I didn't enjoy my experience. As I said before, I love the chaotic rampage inherent in the game's bug-squashing action gameplay, even if they tone down the craziness a bit in this one (not as many bugs compared to the recent mainline EDFs). I enjoy the core gameplay of Iron Rain, and I don't want to grow hating it, so I'm calling it quits here.

A wonderful 1 hour romp for the whole family, all for the price of... wait, what do you mean they sold this for 30$?!
I kid, I kid. I got this for 9 bucks, and it scratched the MGS V itch that I had. I could just go play the full game but I get sad everytime I see how unfinished that game is, so this is the next best thing. I'm surprised by how well the game holds up visually, and obviously that MGS V stealth gameplay is still as fun as it was back then. It is nice to see the formula of the main game in this much smaller form, makes me wonder what other games would benefit from a similar treatment.
Anyways, happy new year y'all! I'm starting the year with one game already finished, not bad eh? :p

I probably won't get to finish this anytime soon since my EA Play 10 hour trial is going to run out and I bought more than enough games right now, but let me just say this: This is easily the best NFS game since 2012's Most Wanted (which is funny since Criterion made that one too), which is a game I immensely loved.
The progression system in this game is quite smart. It adds stakes by having a time limit of preparing your cars so they can be optimal in the main tournament, but it also lets you tackle this preparation stage to your liking. You can take risks by doing a lot of races in quick successions and attracting pigs to your tail, and the game does a good job of incentivizing it. Not to mention the game limiting the number of restarts you can do, and adding the ability to do side bets with other racers, making the core gameplay loop more dynamic and active.
Another well thought out aspect of the game is the boost mechanic. You'll get a normal nitrous thing that works like in pretty much almost every other arcade racing game, but there's another boost thingy that only adds up when you do certain actions like drafting, jumping off a ramp or doing near misses, and this bar will drop quickly if you don't keep doing those actions, so it rewards both smart and flashy plays, and at the same time adds a more aggressive touch to the overall gameplay.
Lastly, the style of the game is quite sublime. The graphics almost looks photorealistic at times, and yet there's the eyecatching cell shaded character models and cartoony visual effects that contrasts each other in a exciting way. I also like the soundtrack quite a bit, it certainly strengthens the vibes that the game is going for.
Unless the game takes a massive nose dive later on, I can't see this going lower than a 4 stars so that's what I'll give it for now.

A very niche free to play melee combat battle royale game, doomed to be never in the public spotlight for anything other than how niche it is.
The combat can be intense at its best, as you master one of several available weapon types, carefully traverse the level, look for lapses in your opponents' play and try to capitalize on it, but it has this clunky feel that will probably push away a lot of people before they get familiar enough with the game. it will not be fun to be crushed by other people here, as death usually comes swiftly and unceremoniously.
The style of the game, the character designs and such are also another weird point of the game, where it has this steampunk-ish theme with a cool totalitarian society lore behind it, and it's quite unique, but again not many people will probably like it. The game's driven by a pretty by-the-numbers battle pass system, and let's just say that the most notable rewards (skins) on offer are of a very particular taste.
Overall, you have to try this game to know if its for you or not. If its not, then hey, there's some really good music here, you'll probably get a kick out of that.

This game is a constant stream of "what the heck are they thinking?" Every part of the game feels so bizarre, from the character designs, the combat, having a narrator at all times, the comic book-esque effects, and so on. Just thinking about how these elements came to be makes my head hurt. This is the textbook definition of a mess.

Not my cup of tea unfortunately. The premise is batshit silly, and there's a lot of mileage here if you enjoy this sort of unhinged story. Unfortunately the gameplay is just not engaging enough in the long run, the novelty of exploring a weird English town wears off quickly. This is one of those games that would be better as a more linear game instead of a open world, at least the linearity would make it shorter and more focused.

A very competent tactical shooter that offers a more streamlined experience compared to its peers. The gunplay feels decent enough, and the squad based mechanics works well enough most of the time. On the harder difficulties you'll definitely appreciate your squadmates more, but be sure not to put too much trust on them, they're far from perfect. The AI pathing can be a bit iffy, and it can get too chaotic for them to properly help you. Other than the combat, there's a gritty and grounded story to look forward to, which adds a lot to the serious tactical feel of the game. I can't say the music or the levels themselves are too memorable. If you like slower paced shooters then this should be a good time.

A simplistic but exciting enough third person shooter, mostly carried by the strength of the SW license. It's really cool seeing all the SW planets come to life, each have their own vibe and being in these worlds themselves is fun enough. The music tries to evoke that SW feel but mostly falls flat. It's certainly not the best SW game around but hey, get this baby for cheap and you'll probably have fun for a few hours. Unfortunately the PS4 port runs horrendously so keep that in mind.

This starts off quite promising, with the game introducing not only gunplay but also light stealth, crafting and puzzles. Unfortunately most of it is quickly thrown away, as the game leans too heavily on its satisfying-but ultimately-nothing-special FPS combat. It's too easy on Normal, there's practically no enemy variety, and the level design is so-so. The story is not worth paying attention to. If you're really itching for a slower paced shooter, I recommend you get this for real cheap and play it for a bit, just to go guns blazing. There's some solid gore and dismemberment effects here which adds a lot to the impact of the guns. Unfortunately the shotguns feel like shit. The automatic weapons or the sniper rifle are the way to go here.