Look this is a great upgrade on a 30 year rotting formula, but god quit making bosses whose gimmicks are just taking control away from the player. How are there more than 1 of them

Cassette Beasts is a monster catching RPG that looks like another pokemon clone at a first glance, but it's so much more of a different experience and I believe stands very unique among its' genre.
I adore how this game handles its type chart. Instead of certain types doing more or less damage to each other, in this game, type advantages and disadvantages are communicated through status effects. For example, a water move against a fire type won't do any extra damage; however, it will "extinguish" the fire type, lowering all it's offensive stats.
An air move against an electric type won't do less damage, instead it will make the electric type conductive, letting them hit multiple targets on the field for a couple of turns.
A Poison move won't automatically fail against a metal type, instead; the metal type will "use the additional poison leftover from the attack to coat its blades", giving the metal type poison-type contact damage for a couple turns, letting it return a little bit of the physical damage it takes and doing a little extra poison damage with it's physical attacks.
Fire moves will "steam" water types, giving the hit water types passive HP recovery every turn for a couple turns, etc.
I think it's a really unique approach to a type based system that, instead of centralizing it's entire win condition on type matchups, it lets most beasts fight on even ground, with slight yet impactful advantages they can gain for themselves by playing smart.
Battles in this game are also in a 2v2 setting. You can have 6 beasts on your team but you will always fight battles two on two, with the rest of your team you can switch into at will.
Another interesting part of this game is that the beasts you collect aren't really creatures fighting by you side. Instead, you "record" the creatures to add them to your roster, and then turn yourself into them. Mechanically, this isn't much different at all from just having multiple pokemon in your party in a game like pokemon. The difference comes from the fact that, as you are turning into these creatures, both the beasts and you have separate health bars you have to take into account. This also goes for every "trainer" type battle you will encounter of course. Your beast's health hits 0, it gets KO'd, you switch into another one, no big deal. YOUR health hits 0, and it's over.
If one of your beasts gets KO'd, the leftover damage it took spills over to your actual player character, and taking enough damage as your player avatar means you're out of that fight for good, and must let your partner fight a 1v2. Having one of your beasts be KO'd also means you are vulnerable and in your human form for the rest of that turn, so any attacks that had targeted you that turn are now very dangerous and can potentially take you out of the fight for good.
You can also of course use this to your advantage to beat down the Captains (gym leaders, essentially) or other trainers quick enough that they lose before they get the chance to switch into their stronger beasts in the back of their team.
This all introduces an extra layer of strategy to switching out or staying in. If you're wounded and know a strong attack is about to hit you that you can't avoid, do you switch to one of your healthy beasts and let them take the blunt of the damage, crippling them for the rest of the fight, or do you stay in, get KO'd, take heavy damage to your player avatar, but get to switch in a healthy beast for the upcoming turn? It's very good at making you think on your feet, and the double battles let you set up some wacky strategies with your partner.
The game also has incredibly good music, would be a crime not to mention that.
If I had one complaint for this game, it would be the movement. It's simply not fun to move around. Getting stuck in tiles while dashing happens far too often and the stamina management in early game feels really annoying and doesn't mesh well with the genre. Most of the annoyances of overworld movement gets better as more upgrades are unlocked, but it always feels slightly clunky. Not bad enough to deduct a point but certainly a little annoying

This game is great! It really reminded me of the novelty feeling of playing my first Pokemon games when I was a kid. It's a breath of fresh air to the genre.

Character design is fantastic, the story is simple but good, there are some mechanics that I don't particularly like (but there are many more which are straight improvements over Pokemon games), and the UI/UX can feel clunky at times, but these are minor flaws in an overall great game.

Um pokemon com boa história, gameplay criativa, temáticas sérias e gráficos bonitos.

+ My 2023 Game of the Year. It is the best Pokemon RPG experience you can ask for.
- Most of the rejectmon took awhile to grow on me. I won't rule out Stockholm syndrome.

Music absolutely bangs. Cannot say it enough. Had two original songs with vocals in my spotify repeat through the end of the year.
Characters are neat. I love companions having their own storylines, I didn't love progressing a single companion, getting loads of battle benefits then going back to square one to advance someone else. It really limited how much I was able to fuse or leverage high level mechanics. It's difficult to onboard party member options in RPGs like this. The ranger captains all rock, world aesthetic is wonderful. Loads of weird little guys that I really enjoyed seeing, collecting, battling with and as. Fusions rock, fusing everything rocks.
The type chart is informed and inventive, mechanics of buffs and debuffs rather than super or ineffective is great.
Progression stutters and feels very limited at times. I just had a lot of issues playing through the game at times. I love the attempt and want more things like Cassette Beasts (but it speaks for itself that I wasn't compelled to touch any DLC content after rolling credits)

The one good thing i will say about this game is that the music is good. Which, it's a game about cassettes, so.

Playing this game gave me the same kind of existential dread that playing Legends Arceus did, in which the longer i played it, the less I liked it.

It started off as a charming little adventure, and I thought the open world would be kind of cool. It proved to be an issue, as I was just given objectives and thrown out into the world with not that good of an explanation of what I'm supposed to do. I set out to find "Captains" (think gym leaders), so I explored about 6/8ths of the map before actually finding a single one. When I googled others later, the first guide I found even said "You've got to challenge all 12, but the trouble is, they are oh so very hard to find without a guide. Good thing you clicked on one!" which at least vindicated my struggles.

There are various partners to join with, and this introduces a fusion mechanic once you find an "Archangel" (some of the bosses in the game, these progress your actual main quest so they are necessary), and we'll get back to those later. The fusion mechanic, while interesting at first, became lackluster very quickly after realizing a lot of the fusions end up looking... same-y. It's a nice stat boost, but later enemies make it obsolete anyways. I made it to an area that was finally my level after being overleveled for everything else (due to not finding any objectives for hours), and they just slapped my fusion out of existence.

Back to the Archangels. These are required story bosses, and while originally interesting, quickly became gimmicks that became unfun. (The last one I fought was literally just the boss putting me to sleep(guaranteed), applying a random status effect, then using an ability that does damage to you if you're asleep, and repeating. While I could simply go get an ability that lets me ignore sleep, it being a requirement for a boss fight I have to go in blind is annoying. ) Though, this complaint extends to some of the regular bosses, too. Had a random shortcut boss max poison stacks me and destroy my fusion, and a captain just spam evasion while lowering my accuracy. These may sound interesting in concept to some, but in practice just consisted of me having to spam my healing items and wait until it was my turn to finally play the game again.

All in all, a slightly interesting concept with some... less than fun practices to make the game "difficult". I think I would've rather been bored by the game than as frustrated as the later things got me. Maybe I'll finish this game eventually. Probably not!

It has its moments for sure. I'm fond of the Pokémon formula, even though I have a lot of criticisms of it. This game certainly tries to forge its own path, but it is very Pokémon, and falls into a lot of the same traps as Pokémon.

I'm personally not fond of the open-world format. Pokémon Scarlet and Violet's structure was much the same, but I'm much more fond of the Metroidvania-lite thing the first few gens had going on.

As a game made by Pokémon fans for Pokémon fans, I'm sure a lot of people will really get a kick out of it. But as a game made from scratch with Pokémon in mind, I would've made a very different game and I couldn't shake that feeling as I played.

Esse jogo poderia ser bem melhor do que ele é. Ele se inspira em Pokémon, mas mesmo assim tenta ter uma identidade própria, o que é legal, mas a forma como ele faz isso me incomodou.

Ele tem bons gráficos, o design dos monstros são bem legais, possui alguns puzzles que me fizeram quebrar a cabeça. Mas de longe o destaque aqui vai pra trilha sonora que, meu Deus do céu, como é boa! Todas as músicas do jogo são excelentes e ficam na cabeça, principalmente a de batalha. Também gostei do incentivo que Cassete Beasts da pra você explorar o mapa.

Mas aí tem os defeitos que, pra mim, se sobressaem às qualidades. O sistema de batalhas é complexo de mais, com muitas vantagens e desvantagens que você precisa saber, o que acaba fazendo você se perder várias vezes. A história é fraca e genérica. As missões são muito repetitivas. Achei os personagens bem qualquer coisa. E a curva de dificuldade é absurda. Às vezes você tá numa área com inimigos de nível 10 e se for pra do lado, vai ter monstros em nível 30 ou mais.

É um bom jogo pra quem gosta de Pokémon ou de qualquer outro jogo de treinar monstros, mas não é o melhor desse gênero e nem fica entre os melhores. Então, vai com as expectativas baixas que é possível que você possa curtir.

This game is so great! It has such a fresh and beautiful style. The typing of the monsters is well thought-out. The 2 v 2 battles are really fun and add a layer of complexity. This game is just packed full with care by the developers. Worth every penny!

More people should talk about how great Cassette Beasts is. Pokemon Company can't make a good Pokemon game at the moment, but we have indies filling in their shoes. This game is creative, it's funny and it's so very playable.

i havent been able to sustain any interest in pokemon for years even though it was a massive part of my childhood/childhood gaming.... so i was apprehensive about giving this a chance. but im v glad i did! it highlighted + improved upon all the novelties that sucked me into pokemon to begin with 🥺 and it was just, genuinely unique in its framing. i wouldn't really call this a "pokemon clone" — its relationship to pokemon is more akin to the one digimon has with pokemon.

maybe my adult struggle with pokemon was just fatigue with the extreme levels of familiarity and unfamiliarity i have with it. a significant part of my enjoyment of this game was discovering a new world, discovering monsters id never seen before, yet also knowing that the number of them is small enough that i wouldn't get Lost In The Sauce, and that it is entirely possible to "catch em all" (or even just "see em all") without making a whole expedition out of it. in comparison pokemons current umpteens of increasingly similar creatures that i havent kept up with since 2009 both daunts and bores me

anyway i will probably play some of the post-game (though i ended up completing some of it already bc of level grinding/wanting to see everything + completely clear out my quest log before going for the finale, until i realizing that maybe im not supposed to do that). i might pick up the dlc too. thats not something i do for most games! but im really interested in the overarching lore and im very charmed by its aesthetic, the 2d-3d pixel art, the cute monster designs.... and idk in general the gameplay scratches the tism Just Right 🙏🏿

- Like digimon -
No creó poder terminarlo pq me pareció un juego raro y su combate no me termina de gustar del todo.
Pense que por tenerle gustó grande a los juegos de atrapar creaturas este me podría gustar, pero no me logró atrapar.

definetly could be better, but has amazing ideas and could definetly be worse
also the concept of cassettes only affects menus and the names of mechanics literally nothing else
amazing music tho
also some of the battles were fucking miserable what were they thinking
also the monster designs were mostly pretty bad tbh, the art left a lot to be desired, the different artstyle gimmick for bosses was rly cool tho, shame they didnt do it for the last boss they could have made him look like hylics 2

Captures the appeal of pokemon while carrying its own heart. I could not stop playing this once I started and I cant say that for any pokemon game since I was a child. Creature designs are fun, music is good, battle system is interesting. The physics system is so fun to move around in, like a mix between pixel and 3D.

It's so refreshing to see a monster collecting game that understands the thing that makes Pokemon good is its strategic depth, which Gamefreak have left massively underutilized, partly because Pokemon is a franchise aimed at children and partly because it;s Gamefreak.

In any case, Cassette Beasts is centered around a lot of very good designs ideas. Double battles are the standard which automatically makes fights more complex and interesting. Type interactions are based on unique buffs/debuffs/status changes rather than blunt damage increases and decreases. With just these two as a foundation the floor for what makes a good fight is raised significantly.

The Captains, the gym leader equivalent, are also based around a particular strategy rather than just type theme, something Pokemon should have adopted generations ago. Admittedly some of these themes work a little better than others in practice.

The open world structure is maybe the weakest aspect. I ended up overlevelling for a lot of stuff and the world itself is just not particularly interesting to explore, with a lack of unique geographic features that stop it from feeling smaller than it is.

That said the characters that live in that world are a lot of fun and I liked the whole cast, from your party members to the Ranger Captains to the game's villains. They do a couple of neat things with the "every inhabitant was isekai'd here from an alternate earth" thing and the light cosmic horror stuff was fun.

Oh, and the soundtrack is a bop, particularly the vocal stuff.

(The following review is based on the 1.5.0 version of Cassette Beasts, but not taking DLC into account. These feelings are still accurate as of me writing this review, but praises and criticisms I have exclusively with the DLC are not included here.)

I had heard quite a few good things going into Cassette Beasts, and the game's launch trailer really grabbed my attention, but I was not at all prepared for how the game would blow every single one of my expectations out of the water.

Cassette Beasts manages to pay homage to its inspirations while crafting its own special experience from that foundation. As a longtime Pokémon fan, I pretty quickly picked up on the gameplay, but was pleasantly surprised at the many individual components that make the game unique. Instead of a MP or PP system, the game uses Action Points that you accrue over the course of a battle that can be spent on moves of varying amounts of power- it's more akin to something like Boost Points in Octopath Traveler. This makes it so that both weak moves and strong moves have their place in battle, which I really like! The game primarily focuses on 2v2 combat, and the synergy you build with the various partner characters you join up with over the course of the story translates very well into the gameplay, especially through the headlining "fusion" mechanic that spices up the combat significantly─ you'll have much greater firepower, but can't take as many actions per turn, which is a fun tradeoff. Moves and passives are contextualized as "stickers" that can be freely attached and detached from monster tapes at will, making experimentation and strategization easily some of the most streamlined I've seen from an RPG. My only minor point of criticism is that by endgame the sticker list is a bit of a pain to sort through to find what you want, but the filter tools make this a little less frustrating at least. As a lover of turn-based combat, I was thoroughly impressed.

The characters and story felt very fresh and engaging, especially for an RPG of this subgenre. I'll keep my thoughts here as general as I can to not spoil things. Each of their backstories and personalities added something to the party, and the optional romance mechanic managed to enhance the experience without taking anything away for those who aren't interested (except an achievement unfortunately, but that's not too bad). As a nonbinary person, I felt very at home with the options included for character creation, and seeing LGBTQ+ representation in the game itself was really awesome to see. Everything regarding this feels really natural and well-written, which I love. The Archangels and what they each ultimately represent slowly build an interesting narrative over the course of the game, while each being memorable in their own right, utilizing various art styles that feel foreign to everything else in the game's world. There's a nice balance of lightheartedness and more serious subject matters tackled here, and overall does a good job of keeping a positive outlook throughout without needing to talk down to its players when the going gets rough. The story pacing felt very good, which can be hard to pull off in an open-world experience where things aren't always done in the same order, so I appreciate what the devs and writers were able to accomplish here.

The visuals really land in this game in every aspect, from the chibi overworld, to the adorable talk sprites, to the unsettling-yet-badass Archangels, and of course, the fantastic animated monster sprites. To the untrained eye the inspiration is obvious, but it goes a lot further with it than its inspirations by every monster having animations for dealing and taking damage, as well as many of the "asleep" animations being a lot more visually interesting than just having closed eyes. Oh, and reminder that just about all of this applies to the 19,000+ fusions too. Some procedural generation was obviously needed to reach that monolithic number, but amidst the recent controversies around AI art, it's really refreshing to see this pulled off with 100% organically drawn and animated components. Oh, and of course, the monster designs themselves are fantastic. There's a very lovable quirky feel to each one, while having a flavor entirely of their own that you can't easily find elsewhere. The more mature subject matter allows for some really fun names and designs that wouldn't fly in more family-friendly monster-collecting RPGs without losing any of the aforementioned charm at all─ shoutout to Skelevangelist and Miasmodeus, among others.

The music is absolutely stellar. The vocals kicking in during battle themes when a fusion happens appeals very heavily to me as an enjoyer of dynamic music in video games. There's some nice motif reusage present, as well as a good amount of lyrics with multiple meanings that were fun to experience. Same Old Story and Arrow of Time will be on my VGM playlist for a long time yet to come.

I could go on for ages about all the other things I love about this game, and I'm sure there's some things I'll kick myself for not mentioning here later, but honestly the best thing about Cassette Beasts is the gestalt of the game experience rather than any of its individual aspects. It's not very often I see a game so well-balanced in its strengths, and whether you're a casual Pokémon fan, a monster-collector RPG fanatic, or just want a fun turn-based experience in general, you can't go wrong with Cassette Beasts.

Cassete Beasts is a quaint game in the monster catcher genre, full of personality. The monster designs were great and the fusion mechanics were delightful.
The difficulty meters were very well implemented and made sure the game always provided at least a little challenge.
This game has outstanding visuals, and I LOVED the archangel designs and concepts.

Would have liked a bit more exploration into the relationships.

I did not fully explore the postgame content, as it became quite grindy, but there is still a decent amount of content to warrant playing after the credits.

Overall an amazing little indie monster tamer rpg, not without its flaws, but would definitely recommend.

Pokemon but for people who love to strategize (aka Fire Emblem fans)

Fun, but loses its luster in the late game cus grinding is such a chore. Final boss is such bullshit garbage I’m taking away an extra 1/2 star.

Genuinely one of the best monster collectors out there. The only issue I might have had would be with the difficulty, but there's a difficulty slider to handle that. Every single character is so charming, the music is fantastic, the monsters are cute. The game overall just has nice vibes. I like it.

Cool pokemon type game but gets kinda old

Fortnite's story but done better

I am really conflict about this one. I thought I'd like it but ultimately it left me feeling a bit disappointed. It tries so many things, doesn't really botch any of it but nothing manages to stand out either. Except for the monster and especially the archangel designs, which were amazing. The characters and story were pretty okay as well.
Where the game fell flat for me was in its gameplay. Monsters are varied in design and moves, but the bootleg and sticker system, while fun to make cool combos, also robs the monsters of their individuality and devolves into lots of menu managing. The battle animations are gorgeous, but there is no speed up function and every move, status change and ailment animate at every proc and it can get kinda tiresome and feel clunky.
Overworld and dungeon design is uninspired. Movement options are a nice gimmick but ultimately don't add much and never feel quite as fluid as they should. The open progression makes for a very unbalanced beginning and only kinda finds its step at the very end of the game and into post game.
Despite all the negativity I did enjoy my playthrough, since the overall experience is a chill and positive one. But there was so much potential here that I hope can be realised in a sequel or new game from the devs.

The gameplay felt a little overwhelming at times with all the different type interactions and the fact that you can swap between moves so easily. There were some harsh difficult spikes near the beginning and toward the end, and a pit in the middle. Also the party and storage system is really clunky. But besides that, it's a really fun game! ! I love all the different art styles (especially on the archangels), the music and all the creature designs. The story wasn't very deep but it was fun too. The gameplay was really solid despite my complaints, and the NPC fights highlight some cool unique gimmick strategies you can make work really well on your own.

WIldly entertaining Pokemon-clone, albeit one that aligns with what I like aesthetically so well that I wasn't not going to think it was one of my favorite games in the year it came out.