É Mario em 3D, era foda pra 1996

Really great replayable game with excellent level design, movement and mechanics. Easy to get used to and takes time to master but its really fun to even just walk around, not necessarily doing the objectives.

I was never NEARLY as enamored as many were with this game, and I'm not super nostalgic for it, even though I was still pretty young (teens) when it came out. Part of the reason for that, is that I've always preferred 2D Mario, and 2D gaming in general. So I wasn't madly in love with Mario's jump to 3D, as personally I would have been happier with a 2D "Super Mario Bros. 5" instead. The OTHER major reason, is that a couple of my friends played the damn game SO much (including at demo kiosks in stores, before the system had even LAUNCHED), that I frankly just got burnt out on seeing it. I played through and beat it myself, eventually, but I had already seen most of it, so my friends kinda "ruined" it for me.
That said, it IS still a wonderful game. As much as I hear some people complain about the dated blocky graphics and the camera, etc., in all blunt honesty outside of its direct clone Banjo-Kazooie, this is basically THE best 3D platformer that would come along, in my opinion, until Mario Galaxy over a decade later. Meaning I don't think there was a single 3D platformer, on any system, that controlled, had better physics/mechanics, or certainly better CAMERA (3D games had notorious bad cameras forever, many still do), than Mario 64.
This game was the blueprint for 3D gaming, as much as Super Mario Bros. was for 2D gaming, and that's not up for debate. Nintendo hasn't always been perfect (in fact they've gotten far less so as time goes on), but when it comes to literally shaping video games as an art/entertainment form, they've probably done more than any single company. Super Mario Bros., Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, those games alone did SO much to show the way for other games, its insane. And Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time can also be counted among those, for the 3D era.
Hardly one of my FAVORITE games, but I still give it 4 stars because it deserves it. I like it, and I would be super on board with them giving it a full on HD remake. In fact, the one remade stage in Mario Galaxy 2, honestly made me wish they had just made a full Mario 64 remake on Wii with Galaxy graphics, instead of Galaxy 2. If you want great 3D platforming, it doesn't get too much better than this.

Now that I think about it, I haven't played that many 3D Mario games. I completely slept on Mario Sunshine, Galaxy and Odyssey. That's probably the reason why I consider Super Mario 64 to be one of my all-time favorite Mario games, tied with Super Mario World. The game's control is wonderful, even with the god-awful camera, and the levels are memorable with fun mechanics and obstacles. Give this one a play if you haven't, meanwhile I need to play literally every other 3D Mario game.

YAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJUYAJU

One of the few pieces of media that doesn't give me PTSD that makes me cry on the floor begging for my mom

Playing this on an N64 is like giving yourself a dose of arthritis and scoliosis. Playing this on a switch though, now that's a damn fun time. The first 3D sandbox is still a wonderfully charming and well crafted platforming adventure. Nobody does it like Mario.

still solid for the first 3d mario game

Like many franchises, Super Mario Bros first jump into 3D has not aged well. At this point it’s more of a historical milestone than an entertaining play.

Some of its design choices are certainly dated, but SM64 remains a surprisingly timeless platformer, and many of its worlds nail the feeling of dreams.

Nostalgia is not a great thing. I hate this game more than ever. I enjoy the feelings I felt as a kid and learning this new realm of video games, but I have been playing this on a pro controller on the switch in the 3d all star pack, and oh man, I did not remember Mario handling like an a-hole all the time. Making the smallest turns and movements turns into absolute chaos when placement is the difference between falling off a cliff and starting the level over and getting the star you have been working towards for over an hour. I'm half way through it as I dont think I finished as a kid, but im up to 6x stars currently. I just plan to get all 6 main stars and what 100 coin stars I can get and the secret stars and then be done with it and move onto Sunshine.

Honestly kinda don't like playing this one all that much without all of the community discovered movement tech, which makes this game amazing in conjunction with the dozens of romhacks. The lack of checkpoints in some of the later levels is what brings this game down from 4 to 3.5 for me, as stages like Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock are obnoxiously linear, with a death putting back 3-4 minutes of annoying platforming. Thankfully the rest of the stages are fun enough to where they don't really need checkpoints. Groundbreaking, but flawed sums up this game for me.

It's funny to throw the penguin from the cliff.

One of the first video games I ever played, I still vaguely remember me and my brother opening this on Christmas day along with our N64 and what followed was an experience I wouldn't forget. The game wasn't particularly difficult and the camera was a nightmare at times, but everything else from hunting stars to the incredible soundtrack to those simplistic but still memorable encounters with Bowser were amazing. This game is a big reason why the Nintendo 64 is still my favourite console.

I'll be honest, I didn't enjoy my time with Super Mario 64. In fact, it felt more like a frustrating chore to push through than an entertaining game.
I get it. This is one of the first 3D platformers to stabilize the genre for what it is...but that doesn't mean it holds up well nowadays. The camera is an obvious complaint, but I also found myself irritated at the lack of simple explanation for things.
For example, just to name a small detail that makes a big difference: I had to use an online guide to find out that the towers in Shifting Sand Land were climbable. (In fact, I had to use a guide in order to figure out MOST of these ridiculous puzzle names.) Even a small sign post for little things like this would've made the level and puzzle designs for this game much more bearable, but we obviously don't have that here. Hell, why is it that I get booted out in front of a level portal when I die, but am booted back to the castle entrance when I choose to leave the level? I think Super Mario World and the 2D platformers before this had better quality-of-life designs than Super Mario 64.
It must've been the overall praise and resignation that this game gets that overhyped things for me (which is understandable for a game from the late 90s). However...they really should've just remade this one. It doesn't feel good.

I used to go from playing Bomb-Omb Battlefield and quitting the game cause I didn't enjoy it to playing Bomb-Omb Battlefield, quitting the game and enjoying playing it
(haven't finished it yet but I like mario)

look, i get it. mario 64 was an influential title and it's importance and presence in video game culture even to this day is commendable. mario 64 provided a very solid foundation for future 3d platformers to build off of, including its own romhacks that expand on not just mario's movement capabilities and level design, but also its coding thanks to the decompilation of it. speedruns and analysises of this game are incredibly fascinating to watch, and seeing the culture around this game grow and evolve is something i'm glad to witness.
but the camera controls suck dick and that's why this doesn't get the full five stars. rainbow ride is also the stuff of my nightmares. i'm sorry.

Super Mairo 64 is a classic game from my childhood. It was one of the first 3D open world (or at least, large level) games I'd played, and it was fun to explore the many worlds accessed through paintings. The controls were responsive and made it easy to learn to control Mario well. I ended up collecting all the stars in the game.

undoubtedly a phenomenal, groundbreaking game. but trying to wall jump in order to get one of the stars legitimately drove me to tears

Super Mario 64 is a stellar game and is absolutely a must-play for Mario fans to be able to see the origins of the 3D Mario games. The movement in this game feels great and the biggest issue that holds the game back is the poor implementation of camera controls. Since it was a pioneer in the world of 3D gaming, that is hardly a fair criticism, but there it definitely affects your enjoyment at times when you're used to modern camera systems.

One can't overstate the historical impact of Super Mario 64. Its analog-stick controls and adjustable camera set the stage for 21st century gaming. Its 3D platforming has as many imitators as a mid-1960s Beatles album. And there's still nothing like the surreal invitation to stretch the features of Mario's big face before the game even starts.
But I still hesitate to call Mario 64 great. Once you acknowledge the major leap in presentation and get over the thrill of moving in three-dimensional space, you're left with a Mario that overemphasizes the collection of items in levels that you must play to death. Before Mario 64, Mario games had a momentum to them. Mario 64 feels more like a scavenger hunt without stakes. There's little urgency or pressure. By the halfway point, I'm already disinterested.
And whatever happened to the creative thinking behind Mario's abilities? The conservatism started with Super Mario World, which merely updated how the hero can fly and gave him a gimmicky dinosaur buddy. In Mario 64, the most notable addition is the expanded repertoire of jumps, but let's not forget this more acrobatic style already showed up in the greatest remake of all time, Donkey Kong 1994. The effects of the special caps in Mario 64 don't spark my imagination: another flying ability and two passive abilities, one of which corrects the stupid regressive rule that Mario can't breathe underwater. It's almost as if 1990s Nintendo threw up its hands after conceiving the wide array of game-changing powers in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island.
I also despise Mario 64's patronizing, one-dimensional tone. This is a case where the massive influence of Mario 64 has short-circuited the gaming world's memory of what pop games could achieve emotionally. No matter the stage, Mario hoots like he just won the lottery as he jumps about. This creative decision smacks of the condescension Nintendo trotted out with the smiling clouds in the remakes within Super Mario All-Stars. It's clear Nintendo stopped trusting the emotional reactions of its audience with the release of Mario 64. Now people expect to hear the cute yelps and get showered with praise for finding a star under a rock. Would our tails no longer wag without these features?