Fine game. Definitely the worst Team Ninja game. Feels very much like Sony just asked them to push out a long, AC-type game which they did to their best ability. Worth playing of you like the setting or kinda like the Team Ninja combat but not totally

A respectable effort from Team Ninja to broach the open world genre with another period piece. The familiarly tight and engaging combat elements have demonstrated to become par the course for TN. Regrettably I think they should focus more on shorter, tighter games, as this one started to grate toward the end in a way the Niohs never did. The elements that usually make open-world games fully engrossing have never really been their strong suit (Worldbuilding, game-long character dialogue, deep exploration, etc). So their first foray into putting more thought into those elements didn't rob from the great combat, but also didn't really serve to enhance the experience enough to make the open world choice a knock-out. Still a worthwhile Slashfest through the end of the samurai era.

First half I was having a great time, then the game got even more bloated and I was over it. It got to the point where I wasn't doing any "open world tasks" and sprinting past all enemies in missions to get to the boss faster. Combat is fun at first but then comes a problem. If you play on Normal or Hard it'll feel like you're getting your ass kicked but yet you still win the fight. Your items/resources in this game are way too strong. I also have an issue with the bosses following a different set of rules then your own character, I thought everyone was a samurai? Bosses are allowed to and this is no exaggeration pull off 10+ hit combos and if you swing your sword 3 times you're little puny character is out of ki and your stance will get broken. But none of it matters because healing items are super generous and weapon infusement items and ki blaze are stupid strong. I think they should be balanced out a bit more, maybe provide the player less items or weaken them and maybe lower the bosses' combos from 10 to 7 hits? I was thanking the heavens when I beat this game because I wanted it to be over so badly.

+ :
Gameplay trop bien
Bien varié avec les stances + dizaine d'armes dispo
Les fights sont variés
Le jeu est très dur (voire trop parfois)

- :
Trop de persos secondaires (+ de 40 !!!!!)
L'histoire est dur à suivre à cause de ça
Système de bond/romance qui pue la merde et qui en + verrouille des features majeures derrière (upgrade des stances, et des charms intéressants, pts de compétence...)
Open world beaucoup trop redondant
La plupart des quêtes sont cheesables, on peut juste courir jusqu'à l'objectif/boss mdr

With Rise of the Ronin, Team Ninja is cautiously trying its luck in the open-world arena, without setting any new standards for its future projects in this genre. Despite a world design that may seem conventional, the game stands out for its rich history and complexity. The game's setting transports us into a remarkable historical immersion, where we meet nuanced characters evolving in an equally complex geopolitical landscape, an uncommon aspect in the studio's productions and in the video game genre in general.

Team Ninja's strengths are in evidence, with an extremely rewarding combat system, an impressive variety of weapons to master, and memorable opponents, despite their lack of diversity. Whether you're a fan of the studio's creations, a fan of traditional open worlds, or a fan of Japanese history, Rise of the Ronin has something to satisfy you. I can see myself in all these categories, and I can only warmly recommend that you immerse yourself in this adventure. Rise of the Ronin is an experience not to be missed for those looking to combine a love of video games, an appreciation of well-choreographed combat and an interest in history with a capital H.

As a massive fan of the Nioh franchise and seeing the inital trailer for Rise of the Ronin a couple of years ago, I couldn't help but be excited for the game. Even though Wo Long was very disappointing for me, I still had faith in Team Ninja. In a lot of ways Rise of the Ronin was a disappointment for me. If I can can simply sum it up, Rise just has too much bloat and repitiveness even though the combat does save it, ever so slightly.

The gameplay of Ronin to me is slightly above average. It has a counter heavy mechanic where a lot of the fights are about whittiling down stamina meters in order to do big damage. Weapon variety is pretty good and each weapon has several different basic set of attacks and is very easy to mix and match them up. It can be overly complex for gamers who aren't great at action games but there is some depth there. It's nothing flashy or combo heavy but weapons do feel good to use and countering is always satisfying, especially if you counter a enemies entire attack string. My only problem with the countering that while it does feel good to counter a whole attack string it's really only useful for countering the final attack or a red charge attack as those are the ones that really cause the enemey to stagger and get some hits in. It's too much risk and not enough reward trying to "daigo parry" a whole multi-hit combo and best to just block the string and parry the last hit. Enemies can be tanky and tough but there is enough items to beef your character up at anytime to give you a real edge. I found that health items and temp stat boosters come aplenty in Ronin compared to most common souls style games so I feel like you can always outlast most struggles with items alone. The only thing that I really dislike about the combat is the blood mechanic. Hitting enemies soaks your weapon with blood and each consecutive hit gets weaker and causes less hit stun. You constantly have to wipe it off by pressing R1 after a combo string to clean it. Sort of like a Ki Pulse from Nioh or a stamina regain from Wo Long. Except in ronin it's much more slower and much more delayed on the input. It always felt sluggish to me and a lot of the time it never came out when I wanted it to. I hated having to clean it after killing an enemey. So many intentional whiffed attacks just to clean. It got really annoying. Even worse in boss fights. I also feel that stamina runs out very fast in this game, much more than others that play like Ronin. Getting hit back and forth by multiple enemies from both sides, blocking and trying to get an attack string going only to be put into stamina regen after getting knocked down and then as soon as I get up be put in that cooldown animation to only get knocked down again. Really annoying.

As for the open world Rise of the Ronin has a lot of content. Like a lot of stuff populates on the map. Outside of the main missions you spend a lot of your time slowly uncovering the map. Everytime you clear an area with bandits or unlock a fast travel spot you uncover all the collectibles on the map. I really do like when open world games show me exactly where things are after doing a clearly marked thing on the map. However the things to collect are extremely dull and very uninteresting. They feel like Donkey Kong 64 collectibles at times. Collect 100 cats, pray at 100 shrines, take 100 pictures and take out 100 bandits. Feels very by the book and honestly is just busy work. The rewards are pretty small but getting every collectible in any given area does net some usually good rewards. It's just after about a dozen or so hours it really gets old. There are some side missions that have you tasked to do small meager tasks with little reward like other open world games but weirdly they aren't as numerous. There are also randomly generated temp missions that feel completely useless unless going for the trophy for doing 50 of them. Total time wasters. Then there are bond missions. Rise of the Ronin does have a mechanic in place where depending on your character choices and how you talk to characters you can improve their bond with you and passing certain benchmarks will unlock a side mission related to that character. These missions usually have a bit more to them and they do flesh out a character much more. Most characters have about 3 or 4 of them throughout the game bringing the total to about 85. So yea there are a lot of characters and missions. It seems neverending at times. I will give the game props that at times it does feel like your choices do matter and have an impact on your initial playthrough.

As for the story of Rise of the Ronin, I will preface it by saying that a clear amount of effort is shown here and it's massive character count and real life events does lend to a indepth story. If your paying attention and appreciate the historical aspects or period setting there is a lot to like here. Now having said that, the bloat of this game and is story is very very overbearing. I feel what is a pretty simple story does feel like it gets over explaned and constant new character introductions and stakes that seemingly come and go on a whim make it a really frustrating experiance. There is a lot of dialog in this game and cutscenes are very explanation heavy. About 10 hours into it, I kinda gave up with it to be honest. It's not something I ever do but I started skipping all the dialog and just watched the few animated cutscenes. It wasn't that much harder to follow. There is like no character develpment here and hardly any characters are in the story for very long outside of a couple. Just not engaging in the least bit. And I really loved Nioh's story and most people hated that one I feel. Being honest though, as much as the prerelease was bringing up how much the story was the focus with this one I was really let down. It also could not have ended on more of a wet fart as well. I do like being able to create a protaginist and antaginist in the create a player. That's a novel feature. Just wish the antaginist had more of a role or character and not just somebody who shows up for five seconds here and there.

Overall Rise of the Ronin has some strenghts and it's really not bad but it's bloat and length really sour the experiance which other wise has a pretty decent combat experiance by most accounts. The fun factor sadly wasn't higher than some of my frustrations. However after putting so much time into it and my progress with the game I still really wanted to see it through to the end. But aww man, by the end, if I had to run into one more storage hut that's locked only for the window on the opposite side of the building to be open and you have to jump up a nearby low haning tile wall and glide into the window, I just might scream. And people complain about the pallets and ladders in The Last of Us.

Platinum #205

É meio estranho isso de não ter tanta consequência os lados que tu escolhe, por um lado tu pode ter diversos pontos de vista, mas parece meio bobo. Esperava bem mais desse aqui.....

she rise on my ronin till i deluxe edition

the best samurai game not named nioh 2, ghost of sucksucker is garbage in comparison

The gameplay really carries the game. Every fight and counter are seriously enjoyable, sadly I can't say the same about the rest. It lacks modern graphics, atmosphere, background lighting, facial expressions and so on (they are not the worst, but not 2024 graphics). The story was really political, which is not my thing but there are some many famous figures which makes their encounter worth while.

In general Rise of the Ronin is worth it and fun, but maybe not at full price

The combat is so fun I really like how the story unfolds u never know who the good ppl r but the open world can be tedious at times

I will start things off by saying this is Team Ninja's best story game, which is not saying much with the track record but they do let some characters really shine with their writing and backstories, there are also some who are forgettable.

In regards to gameplay this feels Team Ninja to the core and if you are familiar with their previous work, you will settle in pretty nice and easily with this one. This game features "allies" who you take along with your missions but as someone who likes to do things solo, the forced emphasis on the duo boss fights becomes a bit tedious after a while and becomes slightly discouraging when wanting to go about the game on your own.

The open world is exactly as I expected, the normal ubisoft formula but luckily it has its own twist with allowing your open world to become more open with the ties to the world you strengthen but it is still bogged down by repetitive activities which do kind of sully the experience.

Overall I enjoyed this outing but I do think I prefer the approach of the more linear Team Ninja games but I will applaud them for trying something out of their comfort zone even if they did not nail it.

This is terrible. No sugarcoating it, I hated this. I absolutely despised this game.

I have no clue where to even start honestly, I’m not sure I have anything positive at all to say.

I guess at times the combat can look pretty cool, but it is in no way fun. I just got done playing Elden Ring and Dark Souls III, and I’m telling you right now, this parry system is broken. It works when it wants to. You’ll hit parry when the red circle tells you to and sometimes it registers and sometimes it doesn’t. So, when the core defense mechanism in a combat-heavy game doesn’t work, it’s hard to cut it slack.

There are far too many cutscenes. Absolutely every interaction is a cutscene, no matter how small or big of a task it is. I wouldn’t mind as much if the game was way longer, but cramming THIS many cutscenes in a game under 20 hours is ridiculous, not to mention this garbage voice acting. I’ve always held video game voice acting to a way lower standard than other media because it’s usually terrible, but in 2024, especially under the eyes of Sony, this is inexcusable. If your game has this big of a focus on its narrative, get better voice actors.

Oh, and the story… oh man… Just more trash. Some wannabe high budget hollywood action nonsense, with an uninteresting plot and bland characters. This game got so many comparisons to Ghost of Tsushima, and the ending is legitimately the exact same. I’m not kidding, it’s the exact same scenario and decision prompt. Even the title screen looks exactly the same.

I’ve never been one to care about graphical performances as long as it’s a functional game, but it is a little disappointing that only the open world environment looks good, and definitely not nearly as good as some of its Sony IP contemporaries. But, that’s the thing, this game doesn’t function properly all the time. The horse is basically the glitch goblin. Have fun calling your horse in all sorts of areas, because the game simply cannot handle it. It’s almost like the horse was added at the very end of development because fuck it, every open world game has a horse now.

Why was this made? What was the point of this? It’s not good. It’s worse than not good. It’s awful. I’ve never wished so badly during a game for my suffering to end.

Sony has been at the helm of some stellar narrative games, and this is without doubt NOT one of them. 1/10.

This marks the third Team Ninja game I've beaten (after Final Fantasy Origin and Wo Long) -- fourth one I've played a lot of (15-20 hours into Nioh 2 before I stopped playing it -- plan to try again).

The thing I've learned is that Team Ninja soulslikes are like the beginning of an RPG where you have a certain number of points to allot to different stats. Some stats will get 5 bonus points, others will get 0. Team Ninja has a certain number of points to work with; some elements will be the funnest stuff you've ever played, and other elements will feel rough.

-FF Origin had a sick, hilariously camp story and fun gameplay, but poor balancing and a really annoying endgame.

-Wo Long was an easier, awesome twist on Sekiro with a mystical three kingdoms setting and great boss encounters, but a poorly told story and a combat flow that can get somewhat one note once you get the handle on parrying.

Rise of the Ronin takes the Nioh concept of arcade-y soulslike gameplay and some Sekiro, mixes it all up, and sticks it in an...Assassin's Creed game? You're jumping up on buildings, stabbing dudes from behind, and meeting historical figures in a way where you feel like it's missing a 90s sitcom applause track.

The flow of things here, structurally, is very reminiscent of Ghosts of Tsushima or Assassin's Creed. Tons of icons are dotted on the map at various levels and you have to choose which village of enemies to rout or which side mission you want to do to get to know a character a little better.

I liked this structure overall. The side missions were pretty fun and fleshed out, and the writing is a huge step up from Wo Long and FF Origin. No masterpiece, but significantly less camp and you will feel like you're learning a bit about 19th century Japanese history.

The Ubisoft of it all was fun too. I'm not much of a side content guy, but the combat mishmash was so fun that I had a blast clearing out villages and the like. It had a bit of an Elden Ring/BOTW vibe to it too where I would go "ooo, what's that" and then chase some activity either in the distance or that I saw on the map.

Team Ninja soulslike combat is so interesting in that it tickles my brain in a way no other action gameplay does, yet on paper it is a Diablo game with loot grind, increasing numbers and a decent bit of repetition. Rise of the Ronin is no different, though this is a really solid version of it.

You have Nioh-esque stances, Sekiro-style risk/reward parrying + stagger bar, and backstabby stealth that feels really good. On top of that, because this is the 1860s, you get access to bayonets, rifles, and handguns. These have a great sense of power to them (read: they get super cheesy) and it's one of the only times I've really focused on subweapons in a soulslike.

So why only 4 stars? Well, it took me 35-37 hours to credits, and I was dragging a bit by the time I got there. Some really amazing boss encounters in the back third of the game, but you have to get through a good number of repetitive boss fights before it really locks in. The other two issues are (1) the story doesn't diverge through player choice nearly as much (or as consequentially) as the promo/leadup suggested -- if not promised -- and (2) the open world has you doing the same 2-3 types of activities over and over again without enough wonder/discovery.

Combine that with the inherent repetition of Team Ninja souls gameplay, and I'm kinda left holding up the "wrap it up" award speech light in the last act.

In other words, while I think Rise of the Ronin is a great game and furthers my love for Team Ninja as well as these quirky Dark Souls-inspired action games (I would rather play something like this than proper Dark Souls most days), this isn't quite Days Gone levels of "this is low-key one of the best games on the entire console."

Still, high hopes for Team Ninja, man. High, high hopes.

Don’t listen to the reviews🔥

Team Ninja always releases bangers, even though this is definitely my least favorite.

Pros:
- An actually really interesting well rounded cast of a metric shit load of characters
- A Ubisoft checklist style of open world that is actually not that boring
- Story that gets good for the middle and end at least
- Satisfying combat that feels good to learn
- Ryoma

Cons:
- Super watered down skill trees compared to Nioh and Wo Long, feels like very little character power growth
- Zero enemy variety makes an already long game feel like an eternity toward the end
- Too long (exacerbated by the previous two cons) if they condensed the game into the first two chapters it would have been better
- Some crazy difficult bosses

SPOILER BELOW

The biggest con is your blade twin easily. Feels like an edgelord kid’s oc being like “oh and my guy has a mechanical arm and can use all the weapons together and can win every fight.” A completely irredeemable hypocritical piece of shit character. Killing them was the easiest choice ever made in a game. Fuck em.

Will end up an underrated gem of the year. All those bozo TikToks that went viral of the game "looking like a PS3 game" will go down as Clown School's Best Students 2024.

Rise of the Ronin is the newest game by Team Ninja and their first project set in an open world and with a bigger story. Unfortunately it does feel like Team Ninja tried to get everything right - combat, open world, story - but in the end all parts are just decent.

The open world
While the game does look nice overall, especially the cities which are fun to go through, the art style does get bland rather fast in the wide spaces. While the mobility with horse and glider is great, the world offers very little adventure and suprise. All activities are check list based (collect this, defeat X amount of enemies there) and way too many of them exist. It feels like a never ending check list to finish that just gets boring really fast unfortunately.

The story
Here it depends a lot on your interest. If you are interested in the story of the 19th century Japan, the game automatically is much more relevant for you, as it does show that era pretty well and offers a nice view of the events (while clearly fictional aswell)
The characters are unfortunately rather bland, due to the basic voice acting and writing, but there is a lot of interesting conflict here that could have been presented much better.

The comabt
As for all of Team Ninjas games the combat is the shining star. This one is heavily based on the counterspark, a parry mechanic. You basically dance with your enemies, waiting for them to attack > counter > drop your attackes on them. There are multiple combat styles that work like rock/paper/scissor and you pick the one that fits best.

That said: The combat is still better than 90% of action games - but the weakest by Team Ninja so far. For the Team Ninja fans a comparison:

Weapons dont feel that different as they dont have unique weapon skill trees (Nioh) or special abilities (Wo Long). You have a Ki Pulse, but it is just R1 after your attacks, without timing required for a better outcome. You have no stances as the fighting styles are just rock/paper/scissor. The parry counterspark is also an attack, so if you miss, you get insanely punished. While in Nioh you can dodge/parry/block and everything is valid, here only parrying is the proper method in almost all scenarios. Your big devil trigger (living weapon/Yokai form) is just a mode where you have endless stamina and do a bit more damage. There is no build variety cause the stats do not exist as before + the skill tree is irrelevant cause you get enough points to level everything anyway. While there are still set bonuses on armor, they feel way less relevant to actually make a good build. So instead most of the time you just pick "bigger number item" and move on.

So as a big Team Ninja fan, I am extremely disappointed. I do not think this is the right way for the studio and they should focus on the clutch, amazing combat they used to deliver before. I really hope we will see a Nioh 3 next that is not so simplified and streamlined.

I don’t have a ton to say about this one honestly. It’s a Samurai game set in an interesting time period with a solid combat system and a lackluster story.

The combat largely focuses on weapon variety and a satisfying parrying system and it is by far the standout aspect of the game. You get plenty of options on how you want to tackle fights with different weapons and styles on said weapons which essentially enforces a kind of rock paper scissors system built in to counter what your foes are doing.

The performance is…not great and kind of a disappointment given the downgrade in visual fidelity from something like Ghost of Tsushima, a title this game is (rightfully) compared to quite a bit. The game struggles to maintain the 60 FPS target a lot of the time and looks somewhat muddy especially on high end displays.

Overall, a decent experience that I’d recommend to fans of the action genre, but definitely wait for a sale as I find the asking price of $70 to be a bit steep for what you’re getting here.

An open-world game full of collectibles and tough enemies to fight. The combat was a little tricky to get a grasp on but can be figured out. There is a lot in the game to keep you busy for a while while helping navigate Japan through times of high conflict. The one thing I really missed from Team NINJA was the inclusion of Yokai and supernatural monsters, I did not get to see any of that here.

You can see my entire review here: https://youtu.be/27BtEbz5dJI

I played on the Twilight difficulty (hard) and it was a challenging game for me, but rarely did I feel frustrated at a situation or fight. I died a lot, but most of them were due to careless error. Checkpoints were generous so even deaths didn't lead to much loss of progress which would be my biggest issue with these type of games.

All boss fights are against other humans and many of their fights can get pretty intense. Some feel unfair at first, but it feels great to learn their attack patterns after a while and successfully parry stuff. In regards to the parry mechanic in general, it's not really needed against the mob enemies. Their health aren't very high in general so simple combos can quickly dispatch them. Boss fights on the other hand really emphasize the need to parry. Their attack chains are very long and deal heavy ki damage (stamina) even if you block them. Even a successful parry however doesn't necessary turn the situation around since they recover fast and can quickly continue another attack chain. Oftentimes, it takes multiple parries to deplete their ki and leave them exposed to a critical attack as opposed to the grunts which just need 1-2 parries.

My main issues with the combat is that too much of the actions are tied into ki. Blocking damage and dodging can quickly deplete the ki gauge which makes parrying more important than I'd liked. Fortunately, less of an issue for mobs. Camera can also be a pain to deal with. Being pinned against a wall or object will make the opponent invisible so you can't even see the attacks to properly respond.

I did enjoyed the open world stuff, but it has those types of maps where you’re not really exploring for hidden secrets. Nearly everything of importance are shown on the map. Even then, I just enjoy going through the scenery and seeing some parts of Japan’s locations recreated in the game. Kyoto in particular has a lot of pretty sights. Gliding around is fun as well. The maps aren’t too big and the collectibles never feel overwhelming either. This segment reminds me a lot of Ghost of Tsushima which had open world elements that I found relaxing to complete.

There's a ton of loot scattered throughout the game just like in Nioh. It was annoying at first, but I learned to just ignore them for the most part. I only upgraded my main weapons if I get a new legendary one. I only bothered checking the armor if I find myself dying multiple times to the same boss. Having an auto-sell function and being able to filter out specific rarities to sell is a nice QoL though.

What did surprise me though was that I found the story to be very intriguing. Taking place during the Bakumatsu period, the game did a good job reflecting a lot of the political issues and developments during this time. You can make key decisions at various points to change the timeline and create some what-if scenarios compared to actual history so that’s also interesting. You get perspectives on both sides of the two major factions and both have likable characters so it's not a clear cut answer of who is in the right.

Character missions are entertaining in general. I liked the story behind them and many of them could fit very well into the main story due to the content. While most of them are of the serious nature, there a few amusing ones as well.

One issue with the story though is that there’s a strange disconnect with what goes on in the main story and the side stories. Due to the game’s structure, you can shift alliance frequently and do missions on behalf of the “other” side which puts allies as enemies. They might say something about it afterward, but the characters still continue to act as allies of sorts. It's best to think that the player character is a Ronin that plays both sides and while characters might be frustrated with that, they'd understand.

Overall, had a really fun time. Finished the game at about 70ish hours and not going to bother with the post game Midnight difficulty stuff. I only did one mission for the trophy and while it wasn't incredibly difficult compared to Twilight, the boss had become a damage sponge annoyingly. More parries are required to deplete the ki gauge as well.

A really good game that stops frustratingly short of great.

The graphics? PS3 quality. The mechanics? Needlessly complicated.

But the combat? Phenomenal. Like Nioh and GoT had a baby. The writing? Surprisingly decent, especially for a big fan of Nioh 1 & 2. The open world? More engaging than most reviews give it credit for.

The main story missions are lots of fun, the customization of your character and combat styles is great, and the open world is full of bite-sized battles and quests. It's easy to jump in for 15 minutes or 3 hours.

I can honestly heartily recommend this game, despite the flaws.

Какой-то дешевый и убогий клон Ассассинов и Цусимы.

Rise is the Ronin is a really great game. I enjoyed both the combat system and the exploration of the open world. The plot is really well written and there are some great subplots. Highly recommended to all PlayStation 5 owners!

Acabei de pegar o troféu de platina do jogo. Olha, muitas pessoas estão criticando o jogo meio que atoa, porque é divertido, a jogabilidade é excelente, todos os botões fazem alguma coisa, as paisagens onde voce tira as fotos são bonitas, a gameplay é bem fluída, etc. Claro que se voce for pegar a platina vai ter que grindar um pouco, mas nada que uma build boa ajude ali. Se você gosta de Nioh, Sekiro, Ghost of Tsushima e outros mundos abertos pode comprar com certeza que vai valer a pena!

It’s been a long time since I have played a game where story: NOTHING. Open world: NOTHING. But the gameplay is so juicy I really wanted to see it through.

It was a mistake to make the character a custom character. It made me really feel nothing for any of the story beats. It was also kinda lame how most of the main story missions were fight through the same waves of enemies and then fight one of the 3 boss types they made. With all this though, the gameplay is so solid. Counterpsark is so fun. Hitting a chain counterspark and fully staggering an enemy hit my neurons HARD.

Overall, I think it’s a good first try. If they ever do a second one I can see them fleshing out a lot of the cool ideas they had here.

Another amazing Team Ninja game. While it's not Nioh, it's definitely a game that stands out in high regards with its gameplay.

What surprised me that it takes the Ubisoft open-world formula with most of its strengths while the elements of Sekiro's traversal mechanics as well with a gliding traversal. It definitely made the game more engaging in that regard.

When it comes for its narrative, obviously for a Team Ninja game it has awful incohesive story. Despite it being an adaption of the Boshin War, it falls flat when it came demonstrating the events that transpired. The historical characters felt flat and was mostly just eye candy.

Gameplay will always be Team Ninja's greatest feat. Using the Ninja Gaiden's core system as their blueprints paints the game to be completely engaging and extremely fun. The parrying mechanic is perhaps the most satisfying system from all the games I have played thus far. I only wished the game wasn't too literal with its historical setting so we could have have more beasts and non-sapient creature to go against with this system.

The game had an easy but fun Platinum overall. It's very much worth playing this game if you value high skilled games like Nioh or Ninja Gaiden.

Take a tried and true formula and force the standardized Ubisoftian Open World and Side quests, and you get a worse experience than playing through the previous Team Ninja games. The combat is lifted straight from Wo Long with the added movesets from Nioh and other Team Ninja games.

I entered a flow state in the beginning, clearing quest, doing all the side content like gambling and bounty hunting, raising my bonds and going on murder dates with the husbandos was cool. This was when the game was at its best, and I wish it dug more into these without them being and feeling like busywork.

Just like unironically a lot of Sony's open world games, by the time you finish the bajillion map markers for bonus rewards, you get another map full of the same shit to do once again. The relationship system gets tiresome when they all have these boring linear corridor missions. It's honestly overwhelming. You start getting introduced to 3-4 new characters at a time, each with their own sets of missions and affection towards other characters. Though tangible rewards are tied to each of these bonds like skill points and move set upgrades.

I was fatigued by the time I reached the second chapter, and just beelined the story after getting annoyed with the photography missions. This game makes me appreciate the linearity of Nioh missions over this lifeless open world.

My heart tells me to give this game a 2/5 instead, but in the honeymoon phase, I really enjoyed this game. If this is your dig, then you have A LOT to do, whereas I could give less of a shit about these characters and overall story due to its genericness (is that a word?)

Rise of the Ronin was my first Team Ninja game, so going in, I didn’t know what to expect. As someone who isn’t the biggest Souls-like fan, it could’ve easily not been for me. It was the opposite. The story, being a sucker for 19th-century historical nonfiction (with some player choice thrown in there), is quite good. However, I felt as if there were too many allies, a little over 30, with most of them being pretty bland, with a few exceptions. I can’t do this review without mentioning the frame drop and how dated the PS5 already is. Frequent dips into the 30s for an action-heavy game can be off-putting, but it was helped by a patch after launch that stabilized it mostly.

Where the game really shines is the combat. Boss gauntlets, stealth, parrying, a variety of weapons and builds to play around with—the whole nine yards. Once you get the parrying down pat, it’s one of the more satisfying games I can remember playing. The stealth doesn’t feel forced, the gunplay is excellent, and the main antagonist is fun and difficult but has a good balance.

Overall, this was a good game. The beautiful setting of Japan during the Edo period, decent characters all around, and masterful combat. If that’s what you’re looking for in a game, I say go for it.

Sadly this title has flown under the radar with so many big releases this Q1 and releasing the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2. It deserved more attention the combat is great and it's a fun game all around. It's loaded with content and has tons of weapon variety.

My main complaint would be I found it to get a bit repetitive near the end. Mostly due to lack of enemy variety, you won't be fighting monsters or anything to shack it up a lot since the is routed in japanese history.

An assassin's creed style open world game with team ninja's combat. Do I think it's ground breaking no, but as a first attempt from team ninja this is solid and happy to have played it.