Doom Eternal is still the best Doom game I've played. A triumph in thoughtful shooter design.

I liked basically half of this game. I got this coming off of Powerwash Simulator looking for a similar game. House Flipper mostly scratched that itch.

I liked the cleaning parts put could never care enough to fill the house with nice furniture. The UI and way it's done on a controller never felt right. Shame. Very likely a game better suited for PC, I'll give it that. But I also don't think I enjoyed filling the houses with furniture at all.

House 3.5/5
Flipper 2/5

Pizza Possum is everything I want from a bite-sized game. It's not this incredible game or anything. But it's a simple concept that's immediately fun and does not overstay it's welcome.

In Pizza Possum, the goal is to eat this big ass pizza on the top of a mountain. To get there you need to unlock doors by eating food laying around. On the way there, dog cops will instantly try to catch you if they spot you. Very simple and frantic gameplay loop.

Cool little game to play if ever you have 1-3 hours to spare.

I put 20 hours into Helldivers 2 over the course of February and March. It's a great shooter. I loved playing it with friends.

The hardcore and punishing nature of the game lends itself so well to creating hilarious situations. I was also surprised with how good the gunplay felt. I played quite a bit of the original top down Helldivers. I wasn't sure Arrowhead would have the chops to make a genuinely solid shooter like this. Kudos on them. This is good shit.

Will likely come back some day but for now, I'm happy with the time I spent with this. Very good game.

I've been playing Balatro on and off since April. I usually only write reviews here when I consider myself to be "done" with a game....

Well uhm, I've got 150 hours in this game and I have no plans of stopping anytime soon. This is something I rarely ever do. I don't usually like spending more than like 30 hours on a game? There are so many games out there and I usually don't like to linger on a single one. Balatro is different.

Balatro is such an addicting roguelike deckbuilder. It's phenomenal. Both pre and post big patch, I love this game so much. My only real issue with it was how difficult the gold stake runs were pre-patch and even then, that was a skill issue.

I played so much of this game on my Playstation Portal, which was an absolute joy. It's the perfect game to play while I'm hanging out in the living room with my partner and my dog.

I'll give this a 4.5/5 for now but Balatro genuinely may be a 5/5 game for me. It's that good.

The gooner game is pretty fun.

Visuals and music are especially just incredible. Hearing a new vocal track each time I'd load up a biome was a highlight of the game. They set a pleasant vibe and make just existing in the world of Stellar Blade fun. And yeah, Visually, Eve is stunning. Love the outfits, and I appreciate how out there some of them are.

The combat is good but did start feeling repetitive quicker than I'd have liked. It's a standard action game with parries and dodging recharging different special ability meters. You also get a gun thingy. All this stuff is fun. There's depth to it but not enough to really feel like I have to switch up combos. I kept mashing the same ones and brute forcing fights and it was fine. I wish there was a bit more to it.

There are like 4 or 5 biomes and they all kind of look the same? The two biggest ones are deserts which is very uninteresting. Most of the game is just very samey. If you played the demo, you know what you're getting into.

Most of the game is the side content, which is where the game feels best I'd say, because you're just vibing to the the OST and kind of doing busy work. It was a lot better than the story lol. This game has just such a nothing burger of a plot. Just derivative sludge from beggining to end. Eve is also the biggest wet blanket protagonist since Aiden Pierce. And at least Aiden is kind of funny. Seriously she's so dull. Just a lifeless doll of a character.

I still think there's fun to be had in Stellar Blade, I just think that it's a missed opportunity for something better. Absolutely a "style before substance" kind of game.

Extremely satisfying game for anyone with perfectionist/OCD tendencies. A Little to the Left is a puzzle game where you have to organize things. That's basically it. Figuring out how to organize something is usually the puzzle aspect of it. Not every puzzle is great either but there's like 100 of them and you can easily skip any you don't like or use the game's generous hint system.

There's a little "story" with a cat but it's more of a collection of 10 second vignettes spliced through the game than a story of any kind. The music is a real vibe setter though. Whimsical and pleasant sounds compliment the gameplay really well.

There's not a ton to this game but boy am I glad it exists. I played a big chunk of this with my partner and she was really into it. She's not usually into games but something like this just triggered the part of her brain that needs everything to be tidy.

Good game. Check it out.

One of my favourite things to do is play a short indie game on a whim without knowing anything about it. I did this for Indika and boy did it pay off.

Indika takes a fascinating approach to making a cinematic narrative game feel fresh and exciting. It's quite unlike most other narrative "walking-sim" style games I've played. Indika uses the medium of video games to tell it's story better. It's hard for me to say how it achieves that without outright spoiling it, but it's doing some pretty cool stuff. That also extends to the game's general tone. Indika feels like it's going back and forth between being a serious commentary on religion to presenting itself as outright goofy and more of a satire. Sometimes this works. But other times, it can feel jarring. And I imagine this to be the intent as it's often effective. I just can't help but feel the absurdist elements of the game could have been pushed even further.

I enjoyed the story that's being told here. There are some pretty interesting discussions about religion and morality throughout the game that stuck with me. This is helped by strong VA from the leads. I'll also add that this game has some cool alt-history lore stuff (massive fish!!) that add a unique flavour to the game's world. Fun stuff.

Indika isn't without the mundane though. For all the cool and unique stuff the game brings to the table, you're still pushing boxes and solving sometimes outright mediocre puzzles. There's also a few of the standard walking sections where, as a player, all you have to do is push up on the analog stick. Stuff like that still feels archaic here, but I didn't mind it too much considering how strong the rest of the game is.

I enjoyed Indika a lot for what it was. And even more than that, I appreciate it for doing things differently. This is an extremely unique entry in the pantheon of Walking Sims out there. Definitely worth a look.

This is how a spiritual successor should be done, for the most part.

Taking massive inspiration from early Resident Evil games, Crow Country feels strangely comfortable. There's something so soothing about the Resident Evil formula TM. The gameplay loop of exploring a slowly expanding environment via puzzles and light combat just works so well for me. And Crow Country does a great job at it.

I ended up also enjoying the simple story they go for here quite a bit. It's nothing crazy but it's fun and interesting throughout.

I do think that the game is maybe a bit too easy. Even finding the secrets isn't crazy difficult. I also wasn't a huge fan of the RNG bonus loot mechanic. I get that it's there to make sure players can't accidentally screw themselves over by running out of items. But it feels a bit too generous in a game that's already on the easier side.

Any fan of the old-school RE games needs to give Crow Country a play.

Animal Well is a Metroidvania designed around making the player do things intuitively. There are no tutorials, only vibes.

Made by a single guy (!!!!), the game seems very keen on giving you a ton of toys to play with and experiment. The main game is full of "ah-ha!" moments that make the experience of beating the five bosses so rich and fulfilling. Well except maybe the Ostrich. Fuck the Ostrich biome.

The great puzzle design is why I enjoyed this game so much. But I suspect the cryptic puzzle design involved with the side content and the true ending is what will get many to love this game. While I did get a good amount of secret eggs, after a while I just felt like I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out where to find some of these secrets. So much of it feels really obscure to the point where I'm a little scared away from it. Basically, it's a skill issue.

I plan on going back to obtain all the stuff I miss eventually. I'd like to do it myself, but I'm also fine with using a guide as needed. I felt comfortable rating this one based on my experience beating the game but I'm more than happy to revisit this review/score if the post-game stuff compels me to.

EDIT: So I came back and 100%d this one. I got most of the secret eggs myself (55 or so) and then I used a guide to clean up the rest. Wow, secret hunting just goes to show how strong and intuitive much of the map design is. So many of them were a blast to find. Secret hunting was definitely not always great though. While the game is good at giving the player new tools to use pretty frequently. The experience near the end of the game ended up just being to spam the new tool in as many rooms as possible. This isn't the best when you're on your 5th or 6th new tool and the process just becomes annoying. Some good and some bad in the completion process but I'm glad I did. It didn't change my base feeling for the game but definitely made me more confident in Animal Well's strengths and weaknesses.

Vania fans are eating good these days and Animal Well is no exception.

Another Crab's Treasure is such a video game.

A crab-coded Dark Souls set in a colourful ocean is something I had no idea I needed until I started playing 2 days ago. And once I started, I felt compelled to blitz right through the game. It took me 15 hours to beat and just about all of those were fun. The movement feels great, the platforming is fun and so is the combat.

Sure, the game is very derivative of Dark Souls but I do think Aggro Crab gives it their own spin. Enough that it feels unique. The different shells modified the way I approached combat a lot and turning shells into hammers was such a cool "oh my god, I can do this?" moment.

Biggest complaints are how the fps tanks in a few random transitionary areas. I'm playing on ps5 so this really shouldn't be a thing and it annoyed me enough to mention here. Also, the way the map just shows a small portion of where you are right now and doesn't let you scroll it is a little dumb. I wish they just gave me a normal map.

Another Crab's Treasure is a shining example of how an indie developer can take such a widely known gameplay concept and make it their own. What a fun little game.

Harold Halibut is an outstanding technical achievement. It's not, however, a compelling game.

Harold Halibut is an adventure game that looks just like a stop motion movie. And my god do they ever do a great job at that. The game is downright gorgeous and the stop motion continuously impressed me. I really wish this tech was used in service of a better narrative.

I found it very difficult to care about the characters and plot in this world. The voice acting is excellent but the dialogue is so dull. Very rarely do characters have anything remotely interesting to say. And although some personalities shine through (namely Harold and his surrogate mother Mareaux), most of it is forgettable. This is especially true in the first 10 hours of the game which is very slice of life. The plot gets a bit more interesting by the end, but it's too late by then.

I appreciate the themes they're going for. I really like how they approached an autistic coded main character with Harold for instance. There's something so pure about how he deals with problems. I'm sure this game is for someone. Just not for me.

EVOLAND 1

An interesting game dev experiment that doesn't really hold it's own.

I liked how Evoland was constantly changing the core gameplay up, especially in the early game. There's something inherently exciting about opening a chest and getting an upgrade for "better graphics". Evoland eventually reaches a point where a good chunk of the game is dumbed down FF7 turn based battles mixed in with mediocre Link to the Past copycat dungeons.

Again, it's a fun idea but it ultimately just reminded me of better games I could be playing instead.

The SoLA dlc has probably the best biome of the entire Dead Island 2 package. The Coachella vibes are great and the map is really unlike anything I have ever played in a game like this. It feels fresh and looks phenomenal visually.

From a gameplay POV, this DLC adds two new enemy types and is hellbent on throwing them at you at every possible instant. In general, the SoLA just throws all the enemy types at you and it's absolutely exhausting. I get it, you want to challenge your players. But god damn. The amount of times an enemy would trigger my character's tumbling down animation is insane. This was an issue in the main game as well but it happened to me so frequently in SoLA that I felt like a good chuck of my playthrough was spent watching the tumbling down animation play out only to then die by from environmental damage. It blows. Like Haus, this DLC also does nothing to the level cap, which is a bummer since there's loot everywhere and all of it is useless because anyone who played the DI2 story has been max leveled for a long time now.

The last boss of the DLC is great and one of the most creative bosses of Dead Island 2. I liked that. But yeah, this DLC ended up accentuating issues I already had with Dead Island 2 and soured me a bit on it. It's not bad. It's an impressive package. Just not one I enjoyed all that much.

More Dead Island 2 but with a very welcome change in scenery. The trippy Haus locations make the detour worth it. And it's nice for the quest line to feel meaty. I wish more of the base game's side quests feel this substantive.